Mathematical Minutes Video Contest
The Mathematical Minutes Video Contest asks members to create educational and entertaining videos. Chapter members select a math topic and create a fun, informative, two- to five-minute video.
The contest is run by Doral Academy Charter High School under the direction of Sam Koski. This year, submissions are due on Feb. 28, 2018, by midnight EST. Submissions must include the submission form found below. The chapter's sponsor must view the final video before submission and sign the submission form. That and the link to your uploaded video should be emailed to the national office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
Schools may submit no more than three videos. Only the top submission per school is eligible for prize awards. Award money may either go to the chapter or to the students. All submissions must be signed off by the chapter sponsor to ensure they have seen the video and approved the content. Only videos submitted with G-rated material will be accepted.
Eight videos will be chosen by March 31, 2018, for the final round of judging. Chapters will vote to rank the top eight videos. The prize money to be awarded will be split amongst the final entries. Final award amounts will be determined by the votes cast for winners, along with input from the Mu Alpha Theta's governing council.
Videos may be submitted with high school content through calculus. Students no higher than geometry or algebra 2 are in the THETA category, students in precalculus are in the ALPHA category, and calculus students are in the MU category. Based on the course content from these levels and the material covered in your video, you will designate at which level your video will should be judged.
Sponsors may find the ID number for their members by logging into their chapter online and clicking the "View Members" link on the left.
Please download both of these documents for more information and email any questions to Sam Koski.
Sample videos can be viewed here.
Mathematical Minutes Video Contest Winners
- 1st: L'Hopital: Wildest Limits by Farragut High School students
- 2nd: Closer to Asymptotes by KIPP Generations Collegiate students
- 3rd: Limitless Math by Randolph High School students
- 4th: Like Terms (21 Savage "No Heart" Parody) by Douglas County High School students
- 5th: Shape of Circles (Ed Sheeran Song Parody) by Buchholz High School students
- 6th: Calc Geeks by Dimond High School students
- 7th: Joe Squared Teaches Trig by Old Bridge High School students
- 8th: Give Me A Sine by L&N STEM Academy students
- 1st: What Does U Mean? Music Video by Jefferson County IB School students
- 2nd: Derivations (A Sweatpants Parody) by Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, & Technology students
- 3rd: The Number Games by Lawton Chiles High School students
- 4th: Down with Pi by Notre Dame - Cathedral Latin School students
- 5th: Putting up with the Polars by Ronald Reagan High School students
- 6th: Pascal's Quest by Roy Miller High School students
- 7th: Unsolved Math Mysteries by Vestavia Hills High School students
- 8th: 2B or not 2B by Buchholz High School students
- 1st: Calc Pedal (Gas Pedal Parody) by Western High School students
- 2nd: Riemann Sums or (The Unexpected Calculus Lesson) by Alabama School of Fine Arts students
- 3rd: DIVERGENT by Lakewood High School students
- 4th: Intra-Gal in Intra-Gal and the Quick Stop Test by Dacula High School students
- 5th: Mu Alpha Theta-Integration by Parts UV-Voodoo and Tabula by Spring Valley High School students
- 6th: Boys Divided by Flowers by Jefferson County International Baccalaureate students
- 7th: Deal Or No Deal by Buchholz High School students
- 8th: The Boyfriend Problem by Thomas Jefferson High School students
- 1st: The Love Imaginary by Albemarle High School students
- 2nd: Chris Angle’s NEW Area Formula! by Signature School students
- 3rd: AL Gebras vs. PA Rameters by Alabama School of Fine Arts students
- 4th: Mathe-medical Emergency by Dunwoody High School students
- 5th: Potato Trajectory // Projectile Motion by Bishop John J. Snyder High School students
- 6th: Pyschic…Psych! by Berkeley Preparatory School students
- 7th: The Quest for the Fountain of Youth (Systems of Equations) by Nolan Catholic High School students
- 8th: The Last Rule by John A. Ferguson High School students
- 1st: Get Them Digits by Seminole High School students
- 2nd: Mathematics Minute -- Angular Motion by Marion High School students
- 3rd: Similar Triangles! by St. Margaret's Episcopal School students
- 4th: Math Waves by Kamehameha School students
- 5th: Ellipse, ellipses - how am I supposed to know? by American School of Dubai students
- 6th: Harry Potter Meets Vectors by Louise S. McGehee School students
- 7th: Mu Alpha Theta TOA of SOH-CAH-TOA by Lake Norman High School students
- 8th: Some Infinities Are Larger Than Other Infinities by Mount de Sales Academy students