How to Join
Procedure for Starting a New Chapter
- Confirm that your school meets the chapter eligibility requirements.
- Select a member of your school's faculty to serve as the sponsor of the chapter.
- Start a math club for your math students.
- Check grades of your math club members to determine who is eligible to become a Mu Alpha Theta member. All students must meet the student eligibility requirements.
- Download the appropriate Mu Alpha Theta petition below.
- Complete the petition and have it approved by your principal or your college administrative officer, typically the college president or the math department chair.
- Submit the petition along with a one-time $25 charter fee and the $10 one-time membership registration fee for each student joining your chapter. All fees will be returned if the institution is deemed ineligible for membership.
- Email the list of your charter members, grouped by year of graduation, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two Year College Petition
- Virtual School Petition
Each petitioning institution will be notified within two weeks whether or not a charter has been granted. When a charter is granted, each student will receive a certificate of membership and a membership card. The school will receive a charter certificate suitable for framing.